Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Living Sacrifice

Brian Holden
Romans 12:1
    “Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in the view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God - this is your true and proper worship. 
Have you ever wondered what it truly meant to be a “Living Sacrifice”. A simple definition of sacrifice is “something so relinquished”. This literally means, to give over possession or control of something. David said in Psalm 40:6-7 “Sacrifice and offering You do not desire - but my ears You have opened - burnt offerings and sin offerings You do not require. Then I said “Here I am, I have come - it is written about me in the scroll. I desire to do your will, my God; Your law is written within my heart.” David was giving over his will to God. It was no longer about what he desired but rather what God required of him. So, when Paul stated; offer your body as a living sacrifice, he was telling us to live solely for God and not for ourselves. When we live for ourselves, our worship is tainted and unholy. It’s impossible to offer God a holy and pleasing sacrifice when it is on our terms. You see, sacrifice cost you something! So, today remember that your sacrifice will always affect your worship!!

1 comment: